Some platforms do not know the final split amounts (or prefer not to decide this) at the time of payment. In this case, you can provide split data in your /payments/paymentPspReference/captures request, instead of your payment request. Note that you can only split at capture for payment methods that support separate captures. For example, you cannot split at capture for Sofort or iDEAL payments because these don't support separate captures.
Providing split data at capture overrules data from the original payment request. If you don't send split data in the capture request, then we'll use the split data from the payment authorisation.
Partial captures require you to supply split data. If you don't provide split data, then all the funds to go to the liable balance account.
To split the payment amount at the time of capture:
- Send a POST /payments or POST /sessions request for the entire payment amount.
- In the payment response, note the
pspReferenceof the payment.
Parameter Required Description account The account that will receive (or be charged) the split amount. This is the
balanceAccountIdof one of your user's balance accounts. You do not need to specify this field when
amount.value The value of the split amount. You do not need to specify this field when
typeis PaymentFee, since this is not known at the time of payment.
amount.currency Required in case of a currency conversion. The currency of the split amount reference Your unique identifier for that specific transaction split. While this field is only required in the API if
typeis BalanceAccount, we strongly recommend sending a reference for all other types. You can use the reference to reconcile the split and the associated payment in the transaction overview and in the reports. Without a reference, the amounts are merged and you will be unable to reconcile the split.
description Your description for that specific transaction split, which is returned in our reporting. type Split type:
- BalanceAccount: books the sale amount against the specified balance account.
- Commission: books the commission against your liable balance account.
- PaymentFee: books the transaction fees to the specified balance account. We recommend to always include this split type in your splits array so you can reconcile the fees per transaction using the Balance Platform Accounting Report.
- Remainder: books the amount left over after a currency conversion to the specified balance account. When converting the currency of a payment, we recommend to always include this split type in your splits array so you can reconcile the remainder per transaction using the Balance Platform Accounting Report.
Here is an example of how you can split the payment amount at the time of capture, when a customer pays for goods worth EUR 400.00.
- EUR 396.00 goes to the seller's balance account (BA00000000000000000000001) as payment for the goods.
- EUR 4.00 goes to your liable balance account as your platform's commission.
- The transaction fees are booked against the seller's balance account (BA00000000000000000000001). This will be deducted from the sale amount.