On your Android payment terminal you can install and use Android apps. For example, install a cash register app and an inventory maintenance app to enable your staff to check the inventory, operate the cash register, and take payments using a single device.
How it works
After we have enabled Android apps for your account, this is how you make apps available on your Android payment terminals:
- You upload your app to us, using your Customer Area.
- We sign the app, convert it to a format that the terminal can handle, and store it.
- You ask us to distribute the app to your terminals.
- We schedule the installation of the app.
For the installation to succeed, the terminal must be connected to your network and turned on for at least one maintenance interval (by default 180 minutes) before the restart hour.
- When the terminal makes the next automatic maintenance call to our system, the app is installed and becomes available on the terminal.
- To distribute your app to your terminals, we need to have the app's Android Package (APK). The maximum APK file size is 150 MB.
- For use on S1E terminals, the app must be compatible with the Android 7 operating system.
- For use on S1F2 terminals, the app must be compatible with the Android 9 operating system.
Enable uploading apps
To get access to the page in the Customer Area where you can upload your apps:
- Ask our POS Support Team or your Adyen implementation manager to enable Android apps for your account.
Upload your app to Adyen
For this task, you need to have the following user role:
- Merchant POS Terminal Management Admin
Upload your app as follows:
- Get the APK file of your app.
- Log in to your Customer Area.
- Go to Point of sale > Android apps.
- Select Upload an app.
- In the dialog box:
- Drag the APK file to the upload box or select the box and choose the APK file.
- Optionally enter a description of the app so that we can store this in our systems.
On the terminal, we will use the app name that's included in the APK.
- Select the check box to opt in.
- Select Upload app.
- Stay on the page until the dialog box closes.
The Android apps page now shows the icon and APK name of your app.
Check the state of your app. The state is shown under the APK name:
State Description Processing We're busy signing and converting your app. This can take up to an hour. Error Something went wrong. Retry uploading the APK file. If the retry attempt fails as well, contact our POS Support Team or your Adyen implementation manager. Invalid There is something wrong with the APK file. Contact our POS Support Team or your Adyen implementation manager. Ready We finished signing and converting your app.
- When the uploading has completed and your app is shown as Ready, inform our POS Support Team or your Adyen implementation manager and let them know on which terminals the app needs to be installed.