Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) gives shoppers abroad a choice to pay in their own currency or the local currency. Adyen's DCC offering is easy to configure, does not require an extra contract, and includes integrated reporting.
Contact POS Support Team to enable and configure DCC in your stores, for both standalone and integrated systems.
DCC is available and certified for Visa and Mastercard.
- The shopper attempts to pay with their card.
- The terminal recognizes the currency of the country where the card was issued.
- The terminal prompts the shopper to accept or the decline DCC.
- If DCC is accepted, foreign-exchange conversion is applied to the transaction.
A shopper can review DCC charges on the terminal and on the receipt.
The following information is presented on the terminal display:
Source of exchange rate.
Amount in shoppers currency
- Amount in the local currency.
If the shopper accepts the conversion they will pay in the currency of their choice. If the shopper rejects, the transaction will continue using the local currency.
The shopper will also receive the same information on their receipt, as well as a DCC disclosure statement.
Adyen currently supports the following DCC currencies: AED, AUD, BGN, BHD, BRL, CAD, CHF, CNY, CZK, DKK, EUR, GBP, HKD, HRK, HUF, ISK, ILS, INR, JOD, JPY, KRW, KWD, MYR, NOK, NZD, OMR, PLN, QAR, RON, RUB, SAR, SEK, SGD, THB, TWD, USD, ZAR.
You can select a custom subset of currencies for DCC.
DCC is available in all countries where Adyen has implemented a POS solution.
Reporting & dashboards
DCC reporting is available in the Customer Area in the following reports and dashboards:
- Settlement detail report: reports the mark-up on the DCC transaction as a credit (for an example, click here).
Funds are settled in your settlement currency. The amount that you start the transaction with (before DCC) will be paid to you.
For example, you start a transaction for 100 USD, and the shopper accepts DCC for 90 EUR. Adyen will settle 100 USD (plus your share of the markup).
Contact the POS Support Team to enable DCC reporting for your merchant account(s).
- Payment list: a column that displays whether DCC was accepted for a transaction.
- Payment Detail page: displays whether DCC was offered/accepted to the shopper, the base and transaction currency, and the applied exchange rate. Open an existing payment in the Customer Area to see the Payment Detail page.
- DCC Dashboard: a high-level overview of DCC usage and acceptance across different geographies and retail locations, as well as earnings from DCC, for management or country/store operations teams. You can download the data from this dashboard as a CSV file. For a description of the columns and an example, see Download and use the DCC overview file.
According to scheme regulations, the shopper must be given the choice to accept DCC or decline it and pay in the local currency. The shopper must be made aware of the cost of the currency conversion. Merchants are not permitted to force a choice on the cardholder.
Adyen gives merchants the ability to offer shoppers the choice to accept or decline DCC, with full disclosure of the exchange rate and margins. Find out more about DCC by contacting your Account Manager or POS Support Team.