You will need to associate each of your terminals to an account on the Adyen platform.
Adyen has three levels of accounts:
- A single company account on the Adyen platform. This represents your core business entity, and is where invoices for terminal orders are sent.
- One or more merchant accounts under your company account. You receive settlements and reports at the merchant account-level.
- One or more stores under each merchant account. These represent your physical store locations, and are used to process point of sale transactions. Each Adyen payment terminal is associated with a store.
Although payments are processed through payment terminals and stores, your transactions will be settled at the merchant account-level.
Step 1: Determine account structure
When it comes to structuring your merchant accounts and stores, there is no ideal merchant-store account structure. This comes down to your business needs.
For example, if you want each of your physical stores to have their own separate reporting and settlement, then you would create a merchant account and store for each physical location:
Alternatively, if you're processing globally and want to have a single settlement per country, you could create a merchant account per country, and then a store for each physical location:
You may want to use a simple account structure while you are building your test integration. But it is important to finalize the account structure that best represents your business before you go live. If you need help determining an account structure, contact our POS Support Team.
For information on creating merchant accounts, see our documentation on company and merchant accounts.
Step 2: Create merchant accounts
After you've determined an account structure, request one or more merchant accounts.
- Log in to your test Customer Area using the credentials you received after signing up for a test account.
- Go to Account > Merchant accounts.
- Select Request new merchant account and then Yes to create a merchant account on your test environment.
- Complete the requested details. For Channel, select "Point of sale" if that is your only sales channel, otherwise select "Ecommerce".
You will receive a confirmation by email when we've created your merchant account.
Step 3: Create stores IDs
After you've received confirmation of your merchant account(s), request one or more store IDs.
Inform our POS Support Team that you want to add a store.
They will send you a form that you need to complete and return. For each test store ID, you only need to provide:
merchantStoreCode: Your unique identifier for the store. This will be used in your Adyen Customer Area and in API calls.
storeDescription: (Optional) Your description for the store.
merchantAccount: The merchant account the store should exist under.
For live store IDs, you'll need to provide more details.