On the payment terminal, you can run tests to verify the state of the:
- Chip card reader.
- Magnetic swipe reader.
- Keypad (on terminal models that have a physical keypad).
- NFC antenna for contactless payments.
When you start a test, the display shows instructions and animated illustrations to explain how to carry out the test (see the example). During the keypad test, the key beeps will sound at the standard volume. After the test, the terminal will return to using the volume that is configured for the terminal.
Test results are added to the terminal log, and sent to our back end during the automatic maintenance call.
This feature is available on all non-legacy terminal models.
Test the terminal hardware
On the payment terminal, go to the Hardware diagnostics menu:
- On a terminal model with a keypad, select the star key and then Confirm .
On a terminal model without keypad, select the Menu button and then Hardware diagnostics.
Select the test that you want to run.
A green or red circle shown next to a test indicates the result of the previous time that the test was carried out.
Select the arrow to start the test.
Follow the on-screen instructions to carry out the test.
If the terminal becomes unresponsive during the test, select the Report issue button. This logs the issue on the terminal, stops the test, and shows the menu again.
The display shows the test result and returns to the menu.
- In the Hardware diagnostics menu, check the result icon that appears next to the name of the test:
- A green circle indicates the hardware component is fine.
- A red circle indicates the test failed.
If you are sure that you carried out the test correctly, report the failed hardware test to our POS Support Team.
Example test run
The following animation shows testing the chip card reader.
Send a diagnostic report
If your payment terminal is malfunctioning, you can send a diagnostic report to Adyen so we can use the information from the logs to improve our software.
- On the payment terminal, go to the Hardware diagnostics menu.
- On a non-Android terminal model with a keypad, select the star key and then Confirm .
- On a non-Android terminal model without keypad, select the Menu button and then Hardware diagnostics.
- On an Android terminal, select Settings and then Diagnostics.
- Under Diagnostic report, select Send report.
The payment terminal creates a log file and sends it to Adyen.
After you send a report, the terminal will not let you send another report for the next 5 minutes. This prevents multiple reports with the same diagnostic logs.