Boarding associates the terminal with a store and makes it ready to accept payments. There are two steps:
Assign the terminal.
When we ship the terminals you ordered, we add them to the Inventory of your Customer Area. From there, you can assign the terminals to the stores where they will be used. This is a required step for terminals that use a one-time password, and for any terminal that you want to use in a different store than it is currently associated with. In other cases, it is also possible to skip this step.
- Board the terminal.
Step 1: Assign the terminal to a store
Assigning is required for terminals that use a one-time password, because this password is generated only after the terminal is assigned to a store. To find out whether the terminal uses a password, on the terminal tap Board the terminal and see if the terminal asks for a 6-digit password.
Assigning is also required for any terminal that was already associated with a store and that you now want to use in a different store. You'll need to reassign the terminal first to the Inventory, then to the other store, and you'll need to board the terminal again.
Depending on your settings, you can also skip assigning and go straight to Step 2. You then need to assign the terminal to a store during the boarding process on the terminal. However, if you have multiple terminals for the same store, it is easier to assign them all in one go.
To assign the terminal:
- Log in to your Customer Area:
- Navigate to Point of sale > Terminals, and click the Inventory tab.
Search for the terminal by serial number.
You can look up the terminal serial number:
- On the back of the terminal, above the barcode. For example, S/N:123-456-789.
- On the terminal information screen: press 5 and then on the terminal keypad. If this doesn't work, try reversing the order or pressing both keys at the same time. The second line on the display shows the model and serial number. For example, V400m-123456789.
- Select the terminal, either by selecting its check box or by clicking on the row for the terminal. Use the check boxes if you are assigning multiple terminals to the same store.
- Click Reassign.
- If a Terminal reassignment message appears, click Got it.
The message explains that if you are reassigning a terminal that is boarded already, the terminal won't "know" it has been reassigned until it synchronizes with the Adyen platform. This synchronization happens every three hours on average.
In the Reassign terminal to dialog, select Store and click Next.
Note that the Inventory option lets you reassign a terminal from a store back to the inventory.
- In the Choose store dialog, start typing the store code, city, or street name. A list of matching stores appears.
- Select the store from the list, and click Next.
- In the Confirm reassign dialog, click Next.
The next step is to confirm the assignment by doing the boarding steps on the terminal.
Step 2: Board your terminal
- Inspect the terminal. Refer to "Inspect device security" in the terminal user guides.
- To start the terminal, press until the display turns on. The display turns on and off a few times. Wait until you see the Adyen logo.
- If the display shows Configure network, connect the terminal to your network. Refer to the "Connect to your network" page in the user guide for your terminal model.
- On the terminal display, tap Board the terminal.
Follow the instructions for your situation:
Situation Instructions The Board the terminal button doesn't show. The terminal is boarded already. If you recently reassigned the terminal to a different store, wait until the next synchronization with the Adyen platform (on average every three hours) and try again. The display shows a list of stores.
- Find your store; you can Search by city and/or scroll the list.
- Tap your store.
- Tap Confirm.
The display shows one store. Tap Confirm to accept the store that the terminal was assigned to.
If this is not the correct store, reassign the terminal in the Customer Area and try again.
The display asks for a password.
If you didn't assign the terminal:
- Cancel the boarding.
- Assign the terminal to a store.
- Board the terminal (see below).
If you assigned the terminal:
- In your Customer Area, navigate to Point of sale > Terminals.
- Search for the terminal by serial number.
- Click on the row of your terminal to open the detail page, and find the password in the One time password field.
- On the terminal keypad, enter the password.
The terminal reboots one or more times. Your terminal is now boarded and ready to process payments!