Identify and manage differences between sales and payments, and unsettled payments by comparing reports.
Discrepancies between sales and payments received/authorized
You may notice a difference between sales and payments that were received and those that were authorised. This can be due to:
- Different time-zones/currency between reports.
- Additional payment not recorded or wrong payment method entered (POS).
To account for these differences:
- Use the Received Payment details and/or the Payment accounting report to obtain a list of transactions for a particular day of sale.
- Filter payments with the status 'Authorized', or 'SentForSettle', depending on when you recognize revenue.
- Compare both count and total gross value to your sales figures, and filter by merchant-account, store, time of day or payment method in case of discrepancies.
Identify and investigate payments that have not been settled yet
A payment may not be settled because:
- Adyen has received the funds captured and will settle them with your next MerchantPayout.
- Adyen has not yet received the funds; this may be in case of foreign cards (which may have a longer settlement time) or particular payment methods.
- Capture of funds has failed, e.g. because of a technical error.
- A (partial) payment was not cancelled when the order was cancelled.
To account for these payments:
- Review your open balance as reported daily/monthly in the Finance report.
- Compare total Settled amount in the Aggregate settlement report, selecting a duration since the day of sale and summing by the 'Creation date' column) against your own sales report to identify discrepancies/unsettled payments.
- Use the Received Payment Details and Interactive Payment Accounting reports to match items in the former not yet booked to Settled since the day of sale.
- Review the status and log for each payment in the Adyen Customer Area.
Manage exceptional booking items in the Settlement detail report
Create a review process for unexpected bookings in the settlement batch (typically bookings such as ManualCorrected, BankInstructionReturned, MiscCosts).
Be aware that a settlement batch may result both in one (or a combination of) multiple MerchantPayout lines, as well as a BalanceTransfer credit/debits (per currency). Balances are carried forward to the next batch for example in case a negative balance or if we are unable to pay out because the bank account is not configured.