Our mobile solutions let you accept in-person payments on an iPhone, or a card reader that is paired with an iOS mobile device through Bluetooth. You start a transaction from your POS app that runs on the mobile device.
When using an iPhone as the payment interface, the customer taps their payment card on the iPhone or uses a digital wallet like Apple Pay.
When using the card reader as the payment interface, the customer can tap, insert, or swipe their card, or use a digital wallet like Apple Pay.
The starting point for mobile in-person payments is a mobile POS app. This app must be integrated with our Terminal API. When you have such an app, you can build one of the following mobile solutions:
Both solutions use the same Adyen SDK, which you need to add to your mobile POS app that has the Terminal API integration. For the card reader solution, the Adyen SDK includes functionality to manage the device pairing between your mobile device and the card reader.
Our mobile solution is in the development phase. The SDK and documentation will change as the solution evolves. If you have any feedback about the solution, reach out to your Adyen contact.
Payments in your Adyen SDK integration are fully secure:
- Payment details that are read from the customer's payment method (card or digital wallet) are not kept locally on the phone or other mobile device.
- When using an iPhone as the payment interface, transactions are encrypted and handled using Apple's Secure Element.
- The card reader is a PCI PTS-approved Secure Card Reader (SCR). When using the card reader as the payment interface, the payment details are encrypted immediately.
- The Adyen SDK sends and receives only encrypted payment messages.
Integrations with the Adyen SDK have some limitations regarding payment features, payment methods, entry methods, and Cardholder Verification Methods (CVM).
|Feature||Tap to Pay||Card reader|
|Payment methods||American Express
Tap to Pay currently only accepts transactions in USD.
- iOS version 15.5
- Xcode version 13.4.
For Tap to Pay on iPhone:
- Your Adyen contact needs to configure your account for Tap to Pay.