With our Tap to Pay on iPhone solution you can accept contactless in-person payments using an iPhone as the payment interface, and process these payments on the Adyen payments platform.
Integrating the Adyen POS Mobile SDK obviously requires front-end development tasks. However, when planning the work, take into account the following.
Back-end development tasks. You need to:
- Implement a server-to-server call to set up a secure communications session between the SDK and the Adyen payments platform.
- Integrate your POS app with Terminal API. You must support the
PaymentRequest, and preferably also the
How to integrate with Terminal API is described in other sections of our documentation.
Cross-platform frameworks: integration of our native SDK into a cross-platform app is possible, but complex at the moment. We are working to improve the integration experience in cross-platform frameworks.
Before you start
- Get in touch with your Adyen contact and sign the contract addendum that specifies the terms and conditions for the use of Tap to Pay on iPhone.
- Ask our Support Team to configure your account for Tap to Pay on iPhone payments.
- Backend integration: make sure your POS app is integrated with our Terminal API.
If your credential doesn't already have a client key, create one as follows:
- Log in to your Customer Area.
- Go to Developers > API credentials, and select the credential username for your integration, for example ws@Company.[YourCompanyAccount].
- Under Client settings > Authentication select the Client key tab.
- Select Generate client key.
- Select Save changes.
The client key is part of the setup but you won't need to use it in your integration later. Therefore, you don't need to specify allowed origins, and you don't need to store the key in your system.
- To test Tap to Pay in our test environment, create a Sandbox Apple ID.
- Check the requirements. Specifically:
- Xcode version 14.3 or later
- SDK version 2.0.1 or later
- An iPhone Xs or later with iOS version 16.4 or later
- Optionally have a look at these resources for Tap to Pay on iPhone:
How it works
This is how the solution's components work together:
- Your iOS POS app creates a Terminal API payment request.
- The POS app passes the payment request to the Adyen POS Mobile SDK for iOS.
- The SDK passes the request to the Tap to Pay on iPhone component.
- The customer completes the payment by tapping their card or mobile device on the iPhone.
- The SDK passes the Terminal API payment response to the POS app.
Steps to build the solution
To set up the Tap to Pay on iPhone solution: