In addition to making payments, Adyen's payment terminals can request input from your shopper or staff. This allows you to collect the shopper's email address for example, or perform a survey. The communication flow is between your POS app and the terminal, and does not involve the Adyen backend. You need to process the collected input with your own business logic.
There are several types of input request:
- Confirmation: show some information and ask the user to confirm they agree.
- Signature: show some information and ask the user to confirm by supplying their signature.
- Multiple choice—single answer: show a multiple-choice question and let the user select one of the answers. You can use this for NPS surveys, order lists, and such.
- Multiple choice—multiple answers: show a multiple-choice question and let the user select more than one of the answers.
- Digit: ask for numeric input, like a zip code. Another example is a pay-at-table flow where you ask your staff for the table number. This input accepts input of whole numbers.
- Amount: ask for an amount. This input request shows the currency and accepts input of a number with two decimals.
- Phone number: ask for a telephone number. The country code is prefilled based on the location of the terminal, but can be changed.
- Rating: show a question and let the user select a rating from 0 to 10.
- Text: you'd typically use this to collect an email address.
For each input type, we provide predefined elements to show on the terminal display, and fields that you need to populate with your own text. The user enters a response with the terminal keypad or the on-screen keyboard and buttons.
After the user has provided input, you may want to show a waiting screen while your back-end system is processing the input. You can do this by creating a session that spans multiple requests.
Work in progress: some input requests are not supported yet on Android payment terminals.
Supported: Confirmation, Multiple choice—single answer, Digit, Text.
Not supported: Signature, Multiple choice—multiple answers, Amount, Phone number, Rating.