To make a terminal ready to accept payments, you need to assign it to a store or a merchant account representing a store, and then board the physical terminal.
There are three ways to assign terminals:
From the payment terminal itself: When boarding the terminal, your staff selects their store from a list on the display. Depending on who will do the boarding, the number of stores to choose from, and the number of new terminals, this may not be a practical thing to do.
Using your Customer Area. That is what we describe on this page. You can pre-assign terminals to a store from the terminals list. Or, if you have a large number of terminals or various stores that you want to assign terminals to in one go, you can upload a CSV with the details.
- Using API requests. This enables you to automate assigning terminals.
Assign a terminal from your Customer Area
When we ship the terminals you ordered, we add them to the Inventory of your company account. From there, you assign the terminals to the stores where they will be boarded and used.
Assigning is required for terminals that use a one-time password for boarding, because this password is generated only after the terminal is assigned to a store. To find out whether the terminal uses a password, on the terminal select Board the terminal and see if the terminal asks for a 6-digit password.
Assigning is also required for any terminal that was already associated with a store and that you now want to use in a different store. See Reassigning boarded terminals for more information.
To assign one or more terminals to the same store:
Log in to your Customer Area:
Go to Point of sale > Terminals.
Search for the terminal by serial number.
Select the terminal, either by selecting its checkbox or by clicking on the row of the terminal. Use the checkboxes if you are assigning multiple terminals to the same store.
If a Terminal reassignment message appears, select Got it.
The message gives information about reassigning terminals that are already boarded.
Select the Store that you want to assign the terminal to.
Select an Inventory if you want to reassign a terminal from a store back to an inventory.
- Confirm the assignment and Close the dialog.
To see how to assign a terminal from your Customer Area, you can also watch a video here:
Assign terminals in bulk
For this task you must have the following user role:
- Merchant POS Terminal Management Admin
If you have many terminals and/or various stores that you want to assign terminals to, you can upload a CSV file with the details.
View the instructions for the file structure:
- In your Customer Area, go to Point of sale > Terminals.
- Select More options > Bulk reassignment.
Select the links to view a description and download an example file.
Prepare your CSV file according to the instructions.
Select More options > Bulk reassignment.
In the box under Upload your CSV file, select the file you prepared.
If errors are found, fix the errors and try again.
- Select submit.
Reassigning and force-assigning boarded terminals
When you reassign a terminal that is boarded already, the terminal won't "know" it has been reassigned until it synchronizes with the Adyen platform. This synchronization happens every three hours on average. The terminal will then remove its configuration and show Board the terminal again (if it was assigned to another store) so that it can collect the new configuration.
Depending on your user role, you can skip the step of waiting for the next synchronization, by force-assigning the previously boarded terminal.
- When you force-assign a boarded terminal between stores that belong to the same merchant account, the terminal will synchronize and receive its new configuration without asking to be boarded again.
- When you force-assign a boarded terminal from a store to your inventory or between merchant accounts, you need to manually remove the terminal's old configuration. To use the terminal for processing payments again, you'll need to assign it and board it.
To force-assign a previously boarded terminal:
- Follow the assigning instructions above to reassign the terminal.
- When a Reassign terminals scheduled message appears, select Close.
- At Waiting for terminal, select Force Assign.
Conditional. If you force-assigned the terminal from a store to an inventory or from a merchant account to another merchant account, manually remove the terminal's configuration:
- On the terminal, open the Admin menu.
- Select Config.
Select Remove and then Yes to confirm.