To make a terminal ready to accept payments, you need to assign it to a store or a merchant account representing a store, and then board the physical terminal.
There are three ways to assign terminals:
From the payment terminal itself: When boarding the terminal, your staff selects their store from a list on the display. Depending on who will do the boarding, the number of stores to choose from, and the number of new terminals, it may not always be a practical thing to do. Also, in some cases this method doesn't apply.
Using your Customer Area. That is what we describe on this page. With this method you can pre-assign multiple terminals to the same store.
- Using the Terminal Management API. The use of API calls enables you to automate assigning terminals. You may want to use this method if you have a large number of terminals.
Assign terminals from your Customer Area
When we ship the terminals you ordered, we add them to the Inventory of your company account. From there, you assign the terminals to the stores where they will be boarded and used.
As described above, it is often possible to assign the terminal by selecting a store during the boarding. However, it may be easier for your store staff if you assign the terminal beforehand, especially when there are many stores they need to choose from or many new terminals they need to board.
Assigning is required for terminals that use a one-time password for boarding, because this password is generated only after the terminal is assigned to a store. To find out whether the terminal uses a password, on the terminal select Board the terminal and see if the terminal asks for a 6-digit password.
Assigning is also required for any terminal that was already associated with a store and that you now want to use in a different store. See Reassigning boarded terminals for more information.
To assign the terminal:
Log in to your Customer Area:
Go to Point of sale > Terminals.
Search for the terminal by serial number.
Select the terminal, either by selecting its check box or by clicking on the row of the terminal. Use the check boxes if you are assigning multiple terminals to the same store.
If a Terminal reassignment message appears, select Got it.
The message gives information about reassigning terminals that are already boarded.
Select the Store that you want to assign the terminal to.
Select an Inventory if you want to reassign a terminal from a store back to an inventory.
- Confirm the assignment and Close the dialog.
Reassigning and force-assigning boarded terminals
When you reassign a terminal that is boarded already, the terminal won't "know" it has been reassigned until it synchronizes with the Adyen platform. This synchronization happens every three hours on average. The terminal will then remove its configuration and show Board the terminal again (if it was assigned to another store) so that it can collect the new configuration.
Depending on your user role, you can skip the step of waiting for the next synchronization, by force-assigning the previously boarded terminal.
- When you force-assign a boarded terminal between stores that belong to the same merchant account, the terminal will synchronize and receive its new configuration without asking to be boarded again.
- When you force-assign a boarded terminal from a store to your inventory or between merchant accounts, you need to manually remove the terminal's old configuration. To use the terminal for processing payments again, you'll need to assign it and board it.
To force-assign a previously boarded terminal:
- Follow the assigning instructions above to reassign the terminal.
- When a Reassign terminals scheduled message appears, select Close.
- At Waiting for terminal, select Force Assign.
Conditional. If you force-assigned the terminal from a store to an inventory or from a merchant account to another merchant account, manually remove the terminal's configuration:
- Open the Admin menu on your terminal:
- Press 9 and then the Confirm button. (On some models, it is Confirm and then 9.)
- Enter the PIN code for the Admin menu and press the Confirm button.
Where do I find the Admin PIN?
- Select Config.
Select Remove and then Yes to confirm.
- Open the Admin menu on your terminal: