With our card reader solution you can accept mobile in-person payments using a card reader as the payment interface, and process these payments on the Adyen payments platform.
The card reader is paired with an Android mobile device through Bluetooth. On the Android mobile device, payment requests are initiated from a POS app. On the card reader, the customer can tap, insert, or swipe their card, or use a digital wallet like Apple Pay.
For this solution you need to integrate the Adyen POS Mobile SDK for Android into your Android POS app.
- The backend integration of your POS app with Terminal API is described in other sections of our documentation.
- Here, we describe the client-side integration of enabling your POS app to make transactions using our SDK.
Before you start
- Ask our Support Team to configure your account for using the Adyen POS Mobile SDK for Android.
- Backend integration: make sure your Android POS app is integrated with our Terminal API.
- Make sure you have an API credential with an API key and a client key, and the Checkout webservice role.
- Order a test NYC1 card reader and a test card, and assign the reader to your store.
- Note the requirements for end users:
- The POS app, with the SDK integrated into it, installed on their mobile device (smartphone or tablet).
- Mobile device with Android version 11 updated to the latest security patch. The minimum required security patch is the one for March 5th 2022.
- An NYC1 card reader from Adyen.
How it works
This is how the solution's components work together, after your mobile device and the card reader have been paired:
- Your Android POS app creates a Terminal API payment request, or receives a Terminal API payment request from your backend.
- The POS app passes the payment request to the Adyen POS Mobile SDK.
- The SDK initiates the card reader to take the transaction.
- The customer completes the payment by tapping their card or mobile device on the card reader, or by inserting or swiping their card.
- The SDK passes the Terminal API payment response to the POS app.
Steps to build the solution
To set up the card reader solution: