First solution: Increase signal area
First, check the current signal strength:
Open the Admin menu on your terminal:
- Press 9 and then the Confirm button. (On some models, it is Confirm and then 9.)
Enter the PIN code for the Admin menu and press the Confirm button.
Where do I find the Admin PIN?
- Go to Network > Cellular/gprs > Cellular settings > Signal. The strength is shown in %.
Walk around with the terminal and monitor the signal percentage to see if it increases:
- Walk around the area you are in.
- Walk outside to see if the signal strength increases.
- Make sure you are not in an area that could block the signal such as a cellar or a bunker.
If the terminal strength does not increase, proceed to the next solution.
If you want 3G or 4G but the terminal keeps connecting to Wi-Fi, then you have both options enabled and the Wi-Fi signal is stronger. To use 3G or 4G, disable Wi-Fi. You can also ask our POS Support team to prioritze 3G/4G over WiFi by requesting this in an email.
Second solution: Check if the SIM card is inserted correctly
You should only remove a SIM card from a LIVE device if you see that there is a problem. Doing so will automatically place the terminal in inventory, and our Support then needs to manually enable the SIM card again.
- Remove the back cover from the terminal.
- Check whether the SIM card is in the middle slot or inserted incorrectly.
- If there is a noticeable issue, take the SIM card out.
- Insert the SIM card again, and make sure it's inserted as instructed in the terminal's Verifone user manual.
- If this is a LIVE terminal, contact our POS Support team to reactivate the SIM.
Advanced solution: Determine if 3G/4G has been enabled on your merchant account
Depending on your contract, we enable 3G/4G on your merchant account before you receive your terminal. If for some reason this setting wasn't enabled, the 3G/4G connection will not work.
Check with our POS Support team to make sure this setting is enabled.